Home / World / World’s biggest aircraft lifts off from the ground for the first time

World’s biggest aircraft lifts off from the ground for the first time

According to the last information, the world's biggest aircraft has taken off for the first time with 1.3 million cubic feet of helium

It is reported that the world’s biggest aircraft is being developed now and will not be ready to leave the hangar. But according to the news, the aircraft has already lifted off from the ground in Britain for the first time, Joinfo.com reports with the reference to The Daily Mail.

The aircraft was being developed as part of a US Army project but later military bosses decided to scrap the project.

It is now being converted to provide business and leisure flights in a hangar in Cardington, Bedfordshire – and recently took off for the first time.
The vessel was filled with 1.3million cubic feet of helium – enough to fill 15 Olympic-sized swimming pools – so it could float above the ground.

At 300ft, the Airlander is the largest aircraft in the world, bigger even than the Airbus A380 – but would be dwarfed by the historic zeppelins developed in Germany during the 1930s.

It is a hybrid of an aeroplane and an airship – 60 per cent of its lift comes from the helium it is filled with while the other 40 per cent comes from its wings.
It will be able to stay in the air for two weeks at a time, cruising at more than 90mph, and travel at heights of up to 20,000ft with a 10-tonne cargo.

Some have hailed the Airlander as the future of air travel because, unlike conventional aeroplanes, it emits little pollution and is not noisy enough to disturb people on the ground.

It can take off and land vertically like a helicopter, which means it does not need a long runway to operate.

British firm Hybrid Air Vehicles was originally one of the contractors developing the vessel for the US Army under a $500million programme which was scrapped in 2012.

The company then bought the rights to develop the Airlander for commercial use – including as a passenger aircraft which will carry 48 people at a time.

As reported earlier, scientists have broken through the laws of physics and created a fuel-free engine. Apparently, a deep space travel is not so unreal, as we are used to think.